Knowing that the work we do directly affects people, we commit to delivering a high quality end product with a collaborative construction process. The planning, collaboration, communication, and execution for each of our projects is focused on the success of the entire team, an approach that has earned us a network of excellent partners and a 93% client referral rate. Whether constructing office space, a laboratory, or a mission critical facility, we offer a practical approach built on a foundation of technical construction experience tailored to meet each project’s specific needs. Founded in 1992 and with offices in the Bay Area and Sacramento, California, XL is a contractor of choice for leading companies in technology, life sciences, healthcare, and education. XL is consistently ranked as one of the Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times/Silicon Valley Business Journal and is a founding member of the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) Silicon Valley Chapter.
An Assistant Superintendent works with a large amount of autonomy to help manage all aspects of field operations on a project. They may work with a Superintendent on a larger project or may work independently on a smaller project and will demonstrate their knowledge of how to build and manage all facets of work in the field. An Assistant Superintendent will acquire and demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the plans, specifications, estimates, schedules, critical path elements and sequencing/phasing of the project. They play an active role in promoting XL’s safety culture and help to ensure that everyone on the project plans for, understands, and practices the highest level of safety performance. To be successful, they must be well organized, have excellent planning and problem-solving skills, and demonstrate their ability to motivate others toward accomplishing the work at hand.
- Develop, review and execute work plans for a variety of construction activities.
- Lead subcontractor pre-installation meetings, construction of mock-ups and subcontractor site orientation activities.
- Ensure project site and company assets are properly used, stored and secured.
- Oversee the ordering, delivery, storage, tracking, and proper utilization of equipment and materials, including rental equipment. Ensure monthly purchase/rental invoices are accurate and coded properly.
- Ensure the accuracy of basic surveying, layout and field measurements – verify lines, corners, elevations, grades, alignments, angles, positions and distances.
- Act as the champion of XL’s Safety program on the job site. Facilitate safety pre-task meetings, enforce the job site safety plan and adherence to company safety policies.
- Assist the Project Manager/Superintendent in providing regular reviews and updates of progress and cost reports, construction schedules and requirements for completion. Actively participate in OAC meetings.
- Take responsibility for scheduling and coordinating all subcontractors and suppliers: including verifying insurance; verifying layout, materials and quantities; and tracking productivity and schedule compliance.
- Investigate field coordination/conflict issues and make recommendations regarding resolution or submittal in a Request for Information (RFI). Support the RFI process by helping to develop and administer RFI’s.
- Produce daily/weekly field observations including written reports (DCR’s) with progress photographs and summary.
- Anticipate potential challenges/issues, work interference, schedule difficulties, etc., and bring possible solutions to senior level superintendents and/or project management. Develop and implement corrective plans/actions.
- Schedule and manage the timely inspection of work throughout the building process.
- Play a lead role in the administration and documentation required for the Quality Assurance Program as established for the project.
- Schedule, supervise, track and document activities needed to resolve punch list items and proper turn over.
- Build and maintain positive, respectful relationships with all owners, subcontractors, owners’ reps, architects, engineers, suppliers, inspectors, and other employees assigned to the project.
- Always promote the highest level of professionalism and ethics.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Journeyman Carpenter or B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of construction experience in Life Sciences/Technology, Education, Healthcare or Structures/Interiors/TI’s, within the Bay Area.
- Has a basic understanding of all trades, including MEP. Has some exposure to ground up construction or significant structural work.
- Understands the building permit process.
- Understands all Cal OSHA requirements for a construction site. Preferably has OSHA 30 training and is a Safety Trained Supervisor “STS”.
- Organized, detail oriented, and with a systematic approach to achieve accuracy and efficiency
- Able to manage multiple tasks and make decisions under tight deadlines.
- Acts with integrity in a manner that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting or exceeding customer requirements and expectations.
- Understands and utilizes the XL Construction project management / computer systems and follows established processes & procedures.
- Well-developed interpersonal & communication skills, including the ability to manage diverse personalities.