At Kiewit, the projects we deliver make a difference, and we offer opportunities for you to make one, too. Our construction and engineering professionals work on some of the industry’s most complex, challenging and rewarding projects – whether it’s boring tunnels through mountains, turning rivers into energy, or building bridges that connect communities. Kiewit people tackle important projects of every size, in any market. Start your Kiewit adventure today at kiewitjobs.com. Kiewit is one of North America’s largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned organization operates through a network of subsidiaries in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation; oil, gas and chemical; power; building; water/wastewater; industrial; and mining.
The Business Specialist is an entry level role focused on supporting a project in accounting and finance related functions. Each project at Kiewit is run like a small business, with the Business Specialist concentrated on critical tasks such as cost control, payroll, accounts payable/receivable, human capital management, and compliance. This position will become skilled executing processes and utilizing tools related to different types of cost and revenue components such as labor, construction equipment, materials, and subcontracts. The Business Specialist will be an integral part of the month end close out process, and assist with preparing a financial reporting package for project management.
- Recognizes the importance of being a team player by adapting to project needs and helping in other areas as needed
- Fosters relationships with the Operations team and shows a willingness to learn about the work
- Understands the payroll and HR process workflow, and masters the systems used to properly hire, transfer, terminate, and pay all employees
- Comprehends how goods are purchased, invoices are received and paid, and maintains purchasing workflow internal controls
- Demonstrates understanding of the accounts payable process workflow and is able troubleshoot payment or vendor issues
- Understands intercompany and client billing process workflow, importance of timely and accurate billing documentation, and the effects of timeliness on cash management
- Ensures that all cost and cost adjustments are reviewed for accuracy to meet company standards and accounting rules
- Reviews costs, quantity claiming, budget structure and exception reports and makes appropriate corrections to ensure accurate reporting for management
- Identifies, adjusts, and reviews forecast and budget issues with the cost report to confirm proper recognition of cost and revenue
- Displays first-rate customer service skills – maintains a positive attitude and always willing to offer a helping hand to other team members
- Maintains highly organized work environment, understands importance of time management, and communicates in a clear, concise and effective manner
- Follows the Corporate Compliance Program and works in conjunction with the compliance department to implement all EEO and labor laws at the project level
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- 0-2 years’ financial/data analysis experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Business Management, or equivalent degree
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or above
- Previous internship experience is preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Experience working with Pivot Tables, V-Look Ups, and other key excel functions is preferred
- Effective oral and written communication, organization and interpersonal skills.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies
- Positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and passionate for continuous improvement
- Must be able to freely access all parts of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments
- Ability to work well independently, as well as part of a team.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License