Founded in 1937, Hensel Phelps specializes in building development, construction and facility services in markets ranging from aviation to government, commercial, transportation, critical facilities, healthcare and transportation. Ranked #1 in aviation and #12 overall general contractor in 2021 by ENR, Hensel Phelps is one of the largest employee-owned general contractors in the country. Driven to deliver EXCELLENCE in all we do and supported by our core values of Ownership, Integrity, Builder, Diversity and Community—Hensel Phelps brings our clients’ visions to life with a comprehensive approach that begins with innovative planning and extends throughout the life of the property.
This position constructs and repairs building frameworks as well as structures. Stairways, doorframes, partitions, rafters, cabinetry, siding, and drywall are a few examples of the types of onsite tasks this position is responsible for completing. Carpenters pay great attention to project detail and have a strong understanding of wood and metal properties. Carpenters are also required at various times to do virtually all the carpenter support activities performed by laborers.
- Responsible for the assembly and removal of the forms that are used for concrete installation.
- Use assorted hand tools, including ten-pound sledgehammers, shovels, picks, handsaws, skill saws, and drills.
- Build and/or install window-frames, doors, doorframes, staircases, stairways, partitions, millwork, trim, siding, drywall, and overall building frames.
- Responsible for ensuring that the layout of flooring, roofing, and drywall are leveled and compatible.
- Reads blueprints, drawings, and sketches to fully grasp project requirements.
- Effectively operate small hand and power tools to assist with a variety of worksite projects.
- Responsible for taking measurements and calculating the size and amount of material needed. This includes cutting, shaping, and smoothing wood or other required materials according to requested measurements. This also includes constructing forms and chutes for pouring concrete as well as erecting scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground.
- Loads, unloads, and identifies building materials, machinery, and tools. Distributes site materials to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and specifications. Responsible for ensuring that all materials are properly distributed, and the site is swept and well maintained.
- Promotes a safe work environment and communicates jobsite hazards. This includes helping to secure the jobsite at the end of business each day and verifying that all site materials are properly stored.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Follow safe work practices in accordance with the Hensel Phelps safety and health program.
- Must be able to take initiative and ask questions.
- Possess a keen attention to detail and be able to follow instructions.
- Workers must provide their own safety footwear.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally with co-workers and stakeholders.
- Strong mathematical reasoning and quantitative skills.
- Must be reliable and punctual. This includes having reliable transportation and consistent work attendance.
- Experienced in construction layout, blueprint reading and shop drawing reading.
- OSHA 10 Certification.
- CPR & First Aid Certification.
Employment Offers Are Contingent Upon Successful Completion Of
- Verification of Work Authorization and Employment Eligibility
- Substance Abuse Screening
- Physical Exam
- Background Checks for Badging/Security Clearances (if applicable)
- Must Be In Good Standing With The Local Carpenter’s Union Hall