What is Flatiron? We’re more than a construction company. We are an organization of some 3,500 people with diverse backgrounds and varied expertise who share a singular focus on enhancing the well-being of people and communities. We bring together industry-leading engineers, highly skilled craft workers and other professionals to deliver innovative solutions to infrastructure challenges across the U.S. and Canada. Flatiron builds highways, bridges, airports, rail transit, dams, water facilities and underground projects that fuel local economies, improve safety and enhance efficiency. Flatiron engineers harness the art and science of structural design to create solutions that are as beautiful as they are functional. Our craft employees and on-site leaders bring vital experience to each project to turn vision into reality. And our project leaders collaborate with project owners to deliver solutions that meet challenging criteria—safely—while at the same time mitigating risk for all those involved.
OverviewWork and train with the industry’s finest professionals! Flatiron’s Intern Program provides challenging and rewarding work opportunities for college students majoring in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Construction Management.As an Intern, you will be given the opportunity to apply your academic training and skills in a real-world setting at any number of project locations. In addition, you will assist the project manager, project engineer, and the rest of the on-site construction staff in the application of principles, methods, and techniques of engineering technology by performing any combination of the following duties at a project job site.Field engineer interns will be required to have a working knowledge of the entire project, including plan interpretation, project specifications, project cost code knowledge, and the overall construction schedule. In performing any number or combination of the following tasks, you shall support published corporate policies, set a productive and consistent work example, and be responsible to follow up on all tasks assigned.What You Will Be Doing
- Assist with evaluation of field conditions and acceptance testing
- Support quality assurance and quality control engineering materials testing
- Apply survey knowledge to assist with project layout and checking of work to confirm work is in conformance with plans and specifications
- Review project drawings and coordinate any design changes
- Provide document control assistance for correspondence, submittals, design releases etc.
- Initiate engineering design clarifications
- Perform quantity tracking and productivity analysis for maximization of operation efficiency
- Assist with preparing and updating project schedule and interact will all involved in scheduling decision processes
- Respond to field for design clarification, and manage subcontractors field operations and verify contract payments
- Provide design assistance to the project engineer for the design of temporary structures using computer aided design tools
What We Are Looking For
- Field engineer interns/co-ops are required to be currently enrolled in Engineering, Construction Management or a similar program at an accredited technical college or university