Founded in 1992 and with offices in the Bay Area and Sacramento, California, XL is a contractor of choice for leading companies in technology, life sciences, healthcare, and education. XL is consistently ranked as one of the Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times/Silicon Valley Business Journal and is a founding member of the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) Silicon Valley Chapter.
PA Field Engineer works closely with the Superintendent to help manage various aspects of field operations on a project. They are expected over time, to learn how to build and manage all facets of work in the field. A Field Engineer will begin to acquire knowledge of the plans, specifications, estimates, schedules, critical path elements and sequencing/phasing of the project. They play a vital role in promoting XL’s safety culture and will help to ensure that everyone on the project plans for, understands, and practices the highest level of safety performance. To be successful, they must have excellent communication skills, be fast learners, and be motivated to take on increasing responsibility.
- Review and support work plans for a variety of construction activities.
- Assist the Project Superintendent with subcontractor pre-installation meetings, construction of mock-ups and subcontractor site orientation activities.
- Participate in teams’ efforts performing basic surveying, layout and field measurements – determine lines, corners, elevations, grades, alignments, angles, positions and distances.
- Assist in the implementation of XL’s Safety plan, including: conduct daily jobsite safety inspections; participate in weekly safety meetings; ensure that subcontractors complete and update the SSP.
- Help with the ordering, delivery, storage and proper utilization of equipment and materials, including rental equipment. Review monthly purchase/rental invoices for accuracy and proper coding.
- Help prepare the job site for anticipated work and inspect work while/after it is put in place.
- Support the RFI process by helping to develop and administer RFIs
- Perform field surveys for input values on productivity input sheets.
- Assist with scheduling and coordinating all subcontractors and suppliers, including tracking productivity and verifying insurance.
- Review and assist in checking shop drawings for field coordination issues and coordinate the field distribution and utilization of approved shop drawings by crews in the field.
- Submit field coordination/conflict issues to the Project Superintendent for direction regarding resolution or submittal in a Request for Information (RFI).
- Support the Project Superintendent in administration and documentation required for the Quality Assurance Program as required and established for the project.
- Build and maintain good working relationships with all owners, subcontractors, owners’ reps, architects, engineers, and inspectors assigned to the project.
- Track and document activities required to resolve punch list.
- Always promotes the highest level of professionalism and ethics.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or a related field or a minimum of 3 years field experience.
- Knowledge of all elements of commercial construction and an understanding of skilled trades.
- Familiarization with Shop Drawings and the preparation of Submittals and RFIs. Understanding of As-Built Drawings and how they are generated.
- Act with integrity, in a manner that shows support for the company, its values, and its employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting or exceeding customer requirements and expectations.
- Understands and utilizes the XL Construction project management / computer systems and follows established processes and procedures.