Knowing that the work we do directly affects people, we commit to delivering a high quality end product with a collaborative construction process. The planning, collaboration, communication, and execution for each of our projects is focused on the success of the entire team, an approach that has earned us a network of excellent partners and a 93% client referral rate. Whether constructing office space, a laboratory, or a mission critical facility, we offer a practical approach built on a foundation of technical construction experience tailored to meet each project’s specific needs. Founded in 1992 and with offices in the Bay Area and Sacramento, California, XL is a contractor of choice for leading companies in technology, life sciences, healthcare, and education. XL is consistently ranked as one of the Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times/Silicon Valley Business Journal and is a founding member of the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) Silicon Valley Chapter.
Project Engineers assist the Project Manager and Superintendent with the planning and daily execution of the construction project. They are responsible for helping ensure the project runs effectively and smoothly by managing the process of submittal approvals, coordinating the timely delivery of materials, maintaining logs, schedules, budgets, and project safety initiatives. They must be flexible and adaptable team-players, as well as strong communication, task management and client service skills.
- Perform outreach to trade partners to promote project opportunities and generate interest – increasing bid coverage.
- Participate in the subcontractor buyout and selection process.
- Perform some project management responsibilities (with PM oversight), such as: write and administer subcontracts/exhibits; prepare cost forecasts, lead meetings & job walks, Q.C. coordination, etc.
- Participate in aspects of the procurement process on the project.
- Participate in OAC meetings and prepare timely and accurate meeting minutes.
- Estimate change orders and request pricing for PCC’s and EWA’s.
- Lead the document control process: Distribute plans, specifications, drawings, permits, etc. to appropriate parties and maintain the drawing revision log.
- Evaluate, prepare, and distribute appropriate RFI’s. Gather, prepare, review, and distribute submittals. Maintain accurate logs/records of the activities associated with these processes.
- Monitor, measure, inspect and report on work put in place in the field (including SPW).
- Perform Quality Control activities for installed materials or systems.
- Assist with the resolution of challenges in the field.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the project team, the client, owner’s representative, design team, subcontractors, and others.
- Support the Superintendent in managing and updating the Project Schedule.
- Manage the punch-list and close-out process; including warranty, O&M, and as-built documentation.
- Take responsibility for any intern training or mentoring assignments.
- Always promote the highest level of professionalism and ethics.
- Ensure XL’s safety policies and procedures are in place and practiced.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior experience in the construction industry is desired; experience with healthcare, science & technology, corporate office, or education construction projects, preferred.
- Fundamental knowledge of basic construction materials and methods.
- Basic understanding of the technical and business aspects of construction project management.
- Understanding of the building permit approval process.
- Ability to learn and master required technology and software applications, including the MS Office Suite, MS Project and Primavera; as well as Egnyte, BlueBeam, Procore, etc.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- OSHA 10 Certification.