Teichert Construction holds California State Contractor’s License #8, the oldest active license in California. Teichert Construction is a general contractor that builds the infrastructure people use each day, including hundreds of thousands of mile of roads and freeways, commercial and industrial sitework, parks, airports, and more. One advantage that Teichert Construction brings our customers is a full line of construction services. These include mass grading, asphalt paving, concrete paving, curbs and sidewalks and underground pipelines. We stay on the cutting edge, from training our employees to outfitting our construction equipment with the latest technology for greater job efficiency. Teichert Materials is one of the largest construction materials producers in the county. This includes; Teichert Aggregates, a rock, sand, gravel and asphaltic concrete producer. Teichert Materials makes the materials to build homes, schools, offices, roads, levees and other community projects.
The purpose of this role is to develop well-rounded future talent with construction expertise across multi-disciplines – ultimately creating professionals with experience in the full scope of construction management. Specifically, this role assists and supports Field Operations and/or Estimating functions in achieving their respective goals and objectives. This role contributes to several facets of construction (pipelines, project management, field operations, estimating).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in achieving a zero injury culture through the support of Teichert’s Injury Prevention and Safety program and active participation in safety meetings and training sessions. Proactively identifies, and communicates, safety improvements and hazardous/potentially hazardous conditions to maintain a safe, healthy work environment and meet corporate safety standards .
- Completes assignments and tasks on time, accurately, and meets customer expectations. Specifically, assists Project Managers, Superintendents, and/or Estimators in circumventing and resolving problems, and ensures adherence to, and maintenance of company/project policies, procedures, work rules, schedules, and standards. May assist in monitoring work performance and productivity of crafts.
- Provides support and assists in coordinating resources for assigned projects. Specifically, may: check labor, equipment, and materials for accuracy pertaining to the job; coordinate subcontractors and suppliers; order and schedule material for assigned jobs; and/or build GPS models on the computer for the field.
- Assists Estimators in performing material takeoffs. Specifically, may gather, calculate, and compile data for uses in bid proposal estimates for one or more disciplines. In addition, may develop guidelines and precedence for future estimates through researching historical data and compiling summary reports.
- Accurately prepares estimates, as required. Reviews proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope. Determines required contents of estimates and evaluates historical data in order to project unit and man hour figures.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with internal and external customers. Communicates company and project policies, procedures, and standards. Maintains a favorable impression of the company with external customers through professional and courteous interactions.
- Completes internal administrative organization responsibilities and documentation, including project logs, files, records, reports and estimates. May include diaries, submittals, RFI’s, contracts, permits, price quotes, purchase orders, work orders, invoices, traffic control plan design, and quantity take-off materials. Assists in developing written Construction Program guidelines.
- Takes ownership of managing career, professional growth, and contribution to Teichert Energy &Utilities Group, Inc. Works closely with engineering services, field operations, and/or estimating on work performance and productivity. Gains exposure, and contributes to, multiple areas of the company. Communicates personal and professional goals and objectives, with the ultimate result of progressing from a Project Engineer into an Engineering Services, Field Operations, or Estimating role.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, (or related field) or equivalent combination of technical training and related experience
Experience & Industry Expertise
- Zero to five years’ experience in construction industry, comparable technical training, or related experience
Specific Job Requirements
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug, alcohol, and background investigation
- Valid Driver’s License
- Current on all company required safety training
- Ability to preserve confidential and proprietary information and successfully avoid conflicts-of-interest
- Knowledge of drafting and ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Ability to utilize computer aided systems and equipment to calculate material quantity requirements
- Knowledge of project management software and/or estimating software
- Working knowledge of construction equipment, materials, techniques, and required standards applicable to discipline
- Knowledge of company’s Standard Operating Policies and Procedures
- Occasional overnight travel