Knowing that the work we do directly affects people, we commit to delivering a high quality end product with a collaborative construction process. The planning, collaboration, communication, and execution for each of our projects is focused on the success of the entire team, an approach that has earned us a network of excellent partners and a 93% client referral rate. Whether constructing office space, a laboratory, or a mission critical facility, we offer a practical approach built on a foundation of technical construction experience tailored to meet each project’s specific needs. Founded in 1992 and with offices in the Bay Area and Sacramento, California, XL is a contractor of choice for leading companies in technology, life sciences, healthcare, and education. XL is consistently ranked as one of the Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times/Silicon Valley Business Journal and is a founding member of the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) Silicon Valley Chapter.
Project Managers are responsible for ensuring positive project results through a blending of leadership and mentoring of the project team, as well as planning, controlling, and safely executing a project, to accomplish budget, quality and schedule commitments. They consistently demonstrate accurate and effective estimating, cost control and forecasting techniques. Clear and effective communication skills are required to align the team and to build and maintain lasting client relationships; sharing project status, managing client and partner expectations, and communicating changes to the owner as well as project and field teams. Project Managers play a vital role in developing members of their project team; ensuring they are exposed to both technical and soft skill development opportunities.
- Participate in and may lead aspects of Middle Game and End Game business development activities, including the development of responses for RFQ/RFP’s.
- Review contracts, address areas of risk and communicate them to the project team.
- Manage the bid process for new projects; create, manage, and distribute detailed instructions to bidders for all scopes of work; ensure depth in coverage and accuracy; identify areas of risk and risk mitigation options.
- Plan and execute the subcontractor buyout and selection process; including, the development and execution of subcontract agreements & exhibits. Resolve any subcontract issues with minimal oversight/help.
- Create, assemble, and manage the project control estimate.
- Perform and/or supervise all aspects of project management: estimating, preconstruction, scheduling, procurement, submittals, change orders, RFIs, budgeting, financial reporting, cost forecasting/management, billing, schedule adherence, LEED, quality control, turnover/close-out, etc.
- Ensure required project permits, inspections, and tests are identified and planned for.
- Manage the project procurement plan and log, identify risks, and determine options to mitigate risks in the procurement process.
- Take responsibility for client management efforts and OAC activities; including meetings and other communication with the Owner & design team, including leading site walks.
- Ensure the timeliness and accuracy of all aspects of the document control process.
- Appropriately utilize available resources to increase efficiency & effectiveness of the team and the project; i.e. VDC, Sustainability, Lean practices, Bradley, SPW, XL Shop, etc.
- Work collaboratively with Superintendent(s) and field management to plan, organize and direct site activities to resolve issues or challenges encountered in the field and determine how to mitigate risks.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with the project team, clients, owner’s representatives, design team, subcontractors, and others.
- Supervise and take responsibility for the training and development of project staff, including, Project Engineers and Project Coordinators, Project Accountants, and other personnel.
- Promote XL culture & policies and procedures and demonstrate the highest level of ethics and professionalism.
- Actively promote XL’s safety culture and practices. Provide insight and supervision of XL’s construction safety policies, procedures, and practices.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Construction Management or Engineering.
- 6+ years progressive experience in technical construction projects such as; Life Science, Bio-Labs, Data centers, Manufacturing plants, cGMP warehouses, Structures/Interiors, mid-high rise, Shell & Core, Healthcare, OSHPD, K-12, or community college/university and/or public school DSA projects within the Bay Area.
- Proficient with computer applications such as MS Office, MS Project / P-6, PowerPoint, and Timberline. Expert knowledge of Vista.
- Ability to develop detailed project schedules.
- Solid understanding of the building permit process & all building trades, including MEP.
- Experience establishing and maintaining the highest-level of safety practices.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient in a negotiated, customer-service based project delivery environment.
- OSHA 10 Certification
- Strong skill set as a builder and in project management, with solid record of success.