What is Flatiron? We’re more than a construction company. We are an organization of some 3,500 people with diverse backgrounds and varied expertise who share a singular focus on enhancing the well-being of people and communities. We bring together industry-leading engineers, highly skilled craft workers and other professionals to deliver innovative solutions to infrastructure challenges across the U.S. and Canada. Flatiron builds highways, bridges, airports, rail transit, dams, water facilities and underground projects that fuel local economies, improve safety and enhance efficiency. Flatiron engineers harness the art and science of structural design to create solutions that are as beautiful as they are functional. Our craft employees and on-site leaders bring vital experience to each project to turn vision into reality. And our project leaders collaborate with project owners to deliver solutions that meet challenging criteria—safely—while at the same time mitigating risk for all those involved.
OverviewAs a Safety Intern you will have the opportunity to apply your academic knowledge and training in a real-world setting. Under supervision of the District Safety Manager or Project Safety Manager you will be assisting with facilitation of the company’s safety program. As a safety intern you will learn about construction activities, scheduling, risk assessments, planning, and implement corrective measures as necessary.What You Will Be DoingTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Reporting and tracking of orientations, training, audits, incident reports, and other related documents, as well as recordkeeping of related document
- Assists in reporting incidents/accidents, investigations, root cause analysis and submitting reports as required
- Responsible for liaising with the safety personnel for investigations, medical and various other reports
- Order safety supplies as required
- Coordinating safety events as directed by the District safety manager or Project Safety Manager
- Prepare responses to correspondence containing routine inquiries
- Understand the process for submitting invoices, reports, memos, letters and financial statements using word processing, spreadsheet, database and/or other presentation software such as Microsoft Office
- Support staff in assigned project‐based work
- Maintains knowledge of Flatiron’s company values and strategic plan
- Support published corporate policies
- Perform additional assignments per management’s direction
What We Are Looking For
- Must be currently pursuing a bachelor or master degree in Safety, or related major, from an accredited university.
- Must be results oriented, high initiative, ability to influence others and work in a team environment
- Must have strong judgment and high integrity.