Safety Intern (Northern California – College Intern ’22/’23)
Turner Construction CompanyOakland, CA
Turner is a North America-based, international construction services company and is a leading builder in diverse and numerous market segments. The company has earned recognition for undertaking large, complex projects, fostering innovation, embracing emerging technologies, and making a difference for their clients, employees and community.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in implementation of Building L.I.F.E. and the project safety program under the direction of the Project Safety Manager or Superintendent.
- Assist Project Superintendent and BU Environmental Health & Safety Director in identifying and reporting any violation or unsafe practice where there is imminent danger to life or property.
- Assist in coordination of safety duties in such areas as safety committees, preplanning meetings and tool box meetings.
- Participate in training at safety meetings, tool box meetings and orientations.
- Assist in review of subcontractor safety programs for completeness and compliance with Turner’s policies.
- Assist in promoting safe work practices and safe working conditions in accordance with all Federal, State and Local regulations and owner/contractual requirements.
- Participate in administration of a drug screening program (pre-employment, post-accident random and cause) that is consistent with Turner’s or Owner’s requirements.
- Assist Project Safety Manager and Superintendent in preconstruction meetings and conducting research as needed. Document those meetings under direction of supervision.
- Assist in conducting jobsite and work area inspections with the Project Safety Manager or Superintendent. Review with Superintendent for distribution to subcontractors and Business Unit Safety Director.
- Assist in maintaining safety records, including pre-task plans, Job Hazard Analyses, training records, tool box meetings, maintenance of the OSHA 300 log, maintenance of the MSDS and chemical inventory sheets, incident investigations and metrics.
- Assist in conducting effective worker orientation program for every new employee and administer and record their participation.
Qualifications: Working toward a four year degree in Occupational Safety and Health, engineering or similar discipline, or equivalent experience, with a minimum of two (2) years of education and a basic knowledge of safety/environmental principles and techniques. Capable of identifying known potential exposures and recommending corrective actions. Computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office suite programs. Developing leadership characteristics and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle or feel object, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the intern can work in an office or on-site at the construction work site where the intern is exposed too moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
- May perform other duties as necessary or assigned.
Turner is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Turner is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer – minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
GOT WHAT IT TAKES?
Send us your resume. We’d love to meet with you.