What is Flatiron? We’re more than a construction company. We are an organization of some 3,500 people with diverse backgrounds and varied expertise who share a singular focus on enhancing the well-being of people and communities. We bring together industry-leading engineers, highly skilled craft workers and other professionals to deliver innovative solutions to infrastructure challenges across the U.S. and Canada. Flatiron builds highways, bridges, airports, rail transit, dams, water facilities and underground projects that fuel local economies, improve safety and enhance efficiency. Flatiron engineers harness the art and science of structural design to create solutions that are as beautiful as they are functional. Our craft employees and on-site leaders bring vital experience to each project to turn vision into reality. And our project leaders collaborate with project owners to deliver solutions that meet challenging criteria—safely—while at the same time mitigating risk for all those involved.
OverviewThe Safety Specialist is responsible for the inspection, evaluation, training and technical support for onsite construction teams to ensure compliance with Health and Safety programs and agency regulations.What You Will Be Doing
- Identifies, documents and resolves onsite safety risks or discrepancies during daily site walks. Documents Daily Hazard Analysis (DHA) using Company prescribed procedures and software.
- Advises management on proper interpretation and implementation of safety regulations.
- Evaluates and identifies all safety equipment needs for project work. Participates in daily and weekly meetings to ensure all necessary equipment is ordered, stocked and available for upcoming work.
- Assists in investigations and reporting regarding accidents, injuries or illnesses, fire, property damage and other safety related incidents to ensure timely and compliant resolutions. Recommends improvements based on performed trend analysis.
- Develops and distributes worksite safety and evacuation plan to all onsite personnel. Supports emergency response coordination and access planning with manager, as needed.
- Perform additional assignments per management’s direction.
- Works closely with onsite work crews to provide first aid and emergency services to any onsite injury or incident. Ensures worksite injuries are accurately documented and offsite medical clinics attend to employee injury in an accurate and timely manner.
- Supports evaluation of subcontractors and subcontractor safety programs. Notifies management of any non-compliant safety procedures and participates in corrective action discussions to resolve in a timely manner.
- Presents toolbox talk content to project site staff within the prescribed frequency, as determined by manager.
- Presents the progress of the project safety program to leadership, as directed.
- Maintains knowledge of Flatiron’s company values and strategic plan.
- Support published corporate policies.
What We Are Looking For
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Organizational Health & Safety or related field preferred.
- 7+ years construction or safety experience required.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Experience with a broad variety of construction methods and build types required.
- Proven skill to identify onsite project safety risks and recommend mitigation within safety and project program requirements.
- Able to take on special tasks or projects with limited to no direction and oversight required.
- Strong multitasking and organization skills required.
- Proven knowledge of construction site equipment, methods and processes.
- Developed verbal, written and presentation skills with all levels of the organization.
- Developed and proven knowledge to control or eliminate hazards following prescribed methods.