The employees at Otto Construction are the best in the business. As proven by a staff of lengthy tenure, Otto Construction provides an atmosphere of high-quality work and integrity. We are committed to employee development and strive to promote from within. Otto Construction employees enjoy excellent compensation packages featuring competitive salaries, motivating incentives, and exceptional benefits.
As a Field Engineer for Otto Construction, you will support the project Superintendent in safety, monitoring performance, and coordination of a project. This includes conducting safety meetings, contract document reviews, quality control, and coordination of trades in conjunction with the Project Superintendent.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Represent Otto Construction in a professional manner for project clients and their consultants.
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with project team, client representatives, inspectors, trade partners, surrounding neighbors, etc.
- Demonstrates and reinforces a culture of safety throughout the project.
- Assist in ensuring the project is following Otto’s Injury & Illness Plan and Title 8/Cal OSHA requirements to include subcontractors. Enforce site access limitations and entry requirements to ensure public safety. Takes appropriate action to correct safety concerns in coordination with the project Superintendent.
- Coordinates project access and supports the project in coordinating deliveries to the jobsite.
- Participates in schedule development (pull planning, short interval schedules, milestone schedules, and other lean principles). 916.441.6870 | 831.657.9805 | Lic. #178809
- Provides support to project Superintendent for the execution of the work and assists in the resolution of field problems as necessary.
- Maintains daily contact with project Superintendent and trade partner foremen to stay informed of changes in the sequence of work.
- Participates in weekly coordination meetings with trade partners.
- Develops a working understanding of the prime contract and the subcontracted scopes of work.
- Participates in the administration of the project quality control plan. Monitors work quality and implements field quality control to maintain compliance with contract plans and specifications.
- Assists in coordination of inspections, special inspections, and owner/architect reviews.
- May provide lines, grades and layout as required for the project.
- May direct crew in establishing the dimensional control lines and elevations for the project.
- Monitors dimensional control of subcontracted work; checks and verifies the accuracy of all dimensions on the plans and shop drawings; initiates RFls in a timely manner to resolve discrepancies before they can cause construction delays.
- Assists Project Engineer in developing and maintaining as-built drawings and other work tasks and assists with or reviews and processes submittals, sub-contractor change orders, and RFl’s.
- Ensures the timely and appropriate generation, distribution, and resolution of RFl’s.
- May maintain daily job journals documenting start and completion dates of activities and milestones, tests, inspections, important conversations, material deliveries, and unusual events such as weather and schedule impacts.
- Participates in risk management including identification, analysis, response planning and monitoring and control on a project and demonstrates competency in understanding the environmental control processes (SWPPP) for the project and takes corrective actions when necessary.
- Attend project meetings with owner/architects as needed.
- Maintain control over timecards and material purchases to include phase coding.
- Track and report quantities of self-performed work on a weekly basis and assist in budget forecasting for those activities.
- May monitor and manage craft employees for optimal execution of self-performed work; includes projecting staff levels 2-3 weeks in advance for coordination with all Otto projects and planning material orders.
- Maintain status of equipment maintenance and repair.
- Performs other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, and fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- NOTE: Otto Construction is a drug-, smoke- and alcohol-free workplace. Drug testing is a requirement for employment.
- Otto Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
POSITION CAPABILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Experience as a Field Engineer is preferred.
- Ability to develop sequencing of work activities and adjust based on productivity feedback from trade partners.
- Demonstrates trouble shooting and resolution skills.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities with strong team building, effective communication and listening skills.
- Participates in problem solving and identifying challenges.
- Practices and promotes an inclusive work environment.
- Upholds the company’s values of Honesty, Integrity, and Compassion for Others
- Develops and instills confidence, competence, and trust in the team and when representing the Company to clients.
- Handles multiple priorities and varied workloads and working as a team to accomplish Company and Project goals.
- Competent Computer Skills in MS Office Suite and other software such as Bluebeam, Asta Power Project, or Microsoft Project is preferred.
- Timberline Project Management Software Experience, or similar knowledge of relational database project management software, is preferred.
- Good DMV record.
- OSHA 30, First Aid and CPR certificates.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of commercial construction activities: surveying, concrete, framing, civil work, exterior envelopes, etc.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Preferred 4 years of ground up commercial construction experience or Construction Management Degree.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as plans and specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one situations with customers and employees.
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- REASONING ABILITY: Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written and oral form.
- CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid driver’s license and good DMV record to operate vehicle on company’s behalf.
- OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Recognized as a self-starter and ability to meet deadlines. Ability to work well with others and achieve team goals. Highly dependable with excellent organizational and time management skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee occasionally is required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and to walk up to ½ mile daily. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
Link to Job Description PDF