The employees at Otto Construction are the best in the business. As proven by a staff of lengthy tenure, Otto Construction provides an atmosphere of high-quality work and integrity. We are committed to employee development and strive to promote from within. Otto Construction employees enjoy excellent compensation packages featuring competitive salaries, motivating incentives, and exceptional benefits.
As a Senior Project Engineer for Otto Construction, you will support the efforts of the Project Manager and Superintendent in safety, monitoring performance, and coordination of the project. This includes contract document reviews, project document control, and quality control in conjunction with the Project Manager and Superintendent
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Represent Otto Construction in a professional manner for project clients and their consultants.
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with project team, client representatives, inspectors, trade partners, surrounding neighbors, etc.
- Demonstrates and reinforces a culture of safety throughout the project.
- Assist in seeking bids and price quotations for the purpose of subcontractor and material buyout.
- Assist in inputting and updating the project master and short interval schedules.
- Establish and manage the project’s document control system to include submittal and RFI logs, reading file, as-built updating, electronic filing, and purchase order log.
- Review and process submittals including expediting their distribution and following up on critical and long lead items.
- Continuously update the construction documents with all RFI’s responses and plan changes.
- Assist Project Manager in information flow and distribution.
- Assist Project Manager with drafting subcontracts and change orders.
- Perform filing, clerical and other miscellaneous duties as needed or directed.
- Assist Superintendent in expediting approvals and deliveries of materials and subcontractors.
- Assist Superintendent with on-site inventory of materials and/or equipment.
- Assist/lead Otto’s Quality Control process.
- Participates in risk management including identification, analysis, response planning and monitoring and control on a project and demonstrates competency in understanding the environmental control processes (SWPPP) for the project and takes corrective actions when necessary. QSP certification should be a goal.
- Assist in promoting and enforcing Otto’s safety program.
- Assist the superintendent in tracking and reporting quantities of self-performed work on a weekly basis.
- Assist/lead Safety orientations.
- Leads project closeout procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, and fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- NOTE: Otto Construction is a drug-, smoke- and alcohol-free workplace. Drug testing is a requirement for employment.
- Otto Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
POSITION CAPABILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Participate in Training/Mentoring/Coaching Project Engineers and Project Interns.
- Completes PE/FE Increment 1 Training (Attendance at all classes is mandatory for completion.)
- Computer Skills such as Scheduling Software, Microsoft Office Suite, Bluebeam, and ShareFile.
- Project Management software experience is preferred.
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment with the Project Manager, Superintendent, Project Accountant, etc.
- Strong organization, communication and listening skills.
- Practices and promotes an inclusive work environment.
- Upholds the company’s values of Honesty, Integrity, and Compassion for Others
- Develops and instills confidence, competence, and trust in the team and when representing the Company to clients.
- Handles multiple priorities and varied workloads and working as a team to accomplish Company and Project goals.
- Good DMV record.
- OSHA 30, First Aid and CPR certificates.
- Demonstrates trouble shooting and resolution skills.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities with strong team building, effective communication and listening skills.
- Proactive in problem solving and identifying challenges.
- Demonstrates the ability to assist with schedule development (pull planning, milestone schedules, short interval schedules, and other LEAN principles)
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: 4-year degree or equivalent experience (Construction Management preferred) and a minimum of 2 years of Project Engineer experience preferred.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as plans and specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one situations with customers and employees.
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- REASONING ABILITY: Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written and oral form.
- CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid driver’s license and good DMV record to operate vehicle on company’s behalf.
- OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Recognized as a self-starter and ability to meet deadlines. Ability to work well with others and achieve team goals. Highly dependable with excellent organizational and time management skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee occasionally is required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and to walk up to ½ mile daily. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
Link to Job Description PDF